Wednesday, September 29, 2010

in love as i know it now

i have been trying to write a poem that could capture the type of in love i feel.

instead i can only think of words:

home: you make me feel like i have someone to come home to, whose face in the evening makes all the day work just a dream. i just have to go through the motions of doing things just so time will pass. because nothing matters once i am with you. i am safe. i am warm. i belong with you. it is only when i am with you that everything in the world is rightfully in its place.

chamomile tea: you heal me. (and without all the addictive caffeine properties.) you are quiet, you are still, you are easy to take in....smooth.

high: imagine/think skydiving.....together. yes!

friend: you are my friend. you are someone who will call out my bullshit when i get too bullshitty and reel me back from floating when i dream for too long. it is good to know that someone genuinely cares for me as a friend and hopes good things for me.

belief: you made me believe in myself more than anyone else in the world. i don't know how. i don't know why. maybe because you said it directly to me, eyes-to-eyes. no head turns. no nervous laugh or smile. just a sincere "i believe in you."

poetry: you fill me so much that i need not write sad poetry. the tone my poems only know are longing. i am trying not to write sappy love poems, but i know you'll accept them. and heck, who doesn't love a good romance now and again?

tears: it hurts to love you. the kind of hurt you feel when you laugh so hard that tears come out. you make me laugh so hard that it hurts....my heart is laughing so much it hurts. it's funny how even something once broken can still be functional in the end.

laughter: and so we laugh and laugh and laugh because the inside jokes get funnier, the references from earlier in the day to later jokes are just as funny, and we know how to poke fun without hurting each other. ever since i was a little girl, i've always wanted someone who could make me laugh. i liked jim carey and tim allen because they were funny guys. you are a funny person (minus the scripted jokes. haha j/k). laughter reminds me that we have voices.

scoop: whether it is an ice cream scoop or the way you spoon, something about your body and my body coming together is delicious! i mean you are what you eat and i want to eat you up! it must be the way we share yogurtland, or the way we share a bed, or the way we share our meals. i have someone to share my life with and i am so very thankful that we are two ice cream scoops.

pedagogy: sometimes you teach me sometimes i teach you. sometimes i learn you. and sometime you learn me. and it never stops i feel. i am happy that you believe i am smart and allow me to be. i am happy you are smart and can keep me intrigued by all your knowings and not-knowings.

moon: y'know when you look at the moon and it is so immensely big and breathtaking that you are in utter awe? when i think about the idea of you, i sometimes feel we are so different and that statisticians or sociologists would never in a million years conceive of our togetherness. however, it is when i see your face or am with you that i know there is a pull i can't ignore....you are the moon and i am the sea.....

sleep: let's lie in the sand together. let's lie in the grass. let's lie in warm laundry. let's lie in the clouds. let's lie poolside. let's lie in the desert. let's lie in a hammock. let's lie in the car under galaxies. let's lie in each other's arms and sleep.

fishing: patience brings the fish. my mother used to tell me that i was a fisherman who was never settled with what fish i caught because i knew that there was an ocean full of fish. you remind me that fishing isn't about how many fish you catch or caught, but the fact that i just like to spend all day, patiently, waiting.

gravity: sometimes your mass reminds me that you exist. that is enough. your existence.

lightness: sometimes your mass reminds me that i exist. that is enough. my lifted spirit.

serendipity: it scares me how coincidental our thoughts/ actions have been. we both wanted quadratic equation tattoos on our left forearm. we both wanted to play mah jong. we both ate cookies at the same time! we both fell in love this weekend! i mean....is the universe tugging our tails?

food: i would marry the cook.

committed: i've never been so committed to aligning my life-times with someone else's life-time. it is hard for me to let go of my pride because i have a hard time trusting. but our not-a-couple-togetherness thing, otherwise known as "dating," makes me want to date you forever! and i mean....forever!

here: you make me feel 3-dimensional.

love: i love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment