Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day 4+5+6: Grab a Seagull by its Legs and FLY

We woke up dreading the last day for Mr. Calvin Chu. This was the day we dreaded the most.

We got breakfast at the Cafe Royal. Delicioso! But eating that every day may give me a heart attack! Eggs, really salty bacon, sausage, beans, and toast. YUUUUMMY!

We walked around this festival in the streets. It was a car-free Sunday! There's always something going on in Brighton. This festival was like a Solano Stroll street festival. It was a good walk then we got to the Brighton pier. There is something soothing and drawing about the water.

Calvin skipped stones and I watched. We watched the sunset and it was the longest sunset we've ever watched because there were no mountains blocking the sun. This old man with a metal detector scaling the beach turned and looked at us, and said "Grab a seagull by its legs and fly." That's what risk is in love and in life: with all doubt, there must be hope. you can't fail if you have gone above and beyond, trying to soar.

We went to Bankers for dinner and ordered some expectedly yummy food. Haddock and Salmon. I'm pety sure we weren't drunk but we bumbled around with food coma back to baggies.

We got hooked up in a double room by Val because it was his last night here. This room is a room of love! Seriously! There were quotes on the walls fom lovers. There were rocks from the beach on the desk table and the window sills with names and dates of couples who stayed in the room. Messages of love. Calvin and I wanted to put our own message in there, but we fell asleep with the big day ahead.

Calvin Chu misguided the time. We got up at 3:30 AM, but we figured it'd be good to pack and get our lives together so we don't have to rush later. However, he lost his dress pants. He was flying business class and dressing up was a requirement. Therefore he couldn't leave.

At first I was a bit like, "Are you serious?" because I was emotional, tired, and didn't want to impede on Val's schedule. I stayed positive, saying how I get another day with him. Calvin soothed my wrinkled brow. We laid in bed and talked about family, marriage, children, our lives before and after. "You can't change the story of the past, but you can change the story of the future"-calvin chu. Word.

There was a reason why he lost his dress pants. He and I believed it but wasn't sure what it was. We slept and woke up to tell Val we were here together for another day. Two tasks for the day: Buy dress pants, and buy a coach ticket for his flight.

We started off toward the same cafe. He ordered Chili Con Carne with Basmati rice and I ordered the same breakfast. Yum.

We went shopping and found him some trousers for 2 pounds! It's a company that recycles clothes or something. Traid i think it's called. Everything in the store is 2 pounds. Mission complete.

We went to the coach station and bought him a ticket. Mission 2 complete. So after finishing both those tasks, it was like 1 PM and I realized that when we have only a couple of tasks for the day, there's so much more time to just chill!!!!!! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! For so long I kept packing my schedul, especially because I had a car. I'd be here one minute and there te next. I never chilled. If i learned anything from Calvin it was to chill the fuck out and just be. People aren't born frantic, yadidimean?

Anyhow, we went to the beach and threw rocks into the ocean! I joined in this time. It was so satisfying. Calvin said that there's something truly satisfying when you do that and I'd have to agree. You've got to try it some time if you can. Anothe thing to try is the ice cream cones in the UK with chocolate flake. It's so delicious. It tastes completely different than soft-serve frozen yogurt from the US.

We came home and got some food from Taj. I've never eaten these things before. Calvin thought I wasn't enjoying the lamb rice, or the chicken curry, but I really was. I wasn't too fond of the samosas or the shesh kebab but I voiced that. After dinner, we just chilled with some of the older folks, got sleepy and went to bed.

This morning, we woke, we loved, we packed, and we walked to the coach station. I didn't want him to miss his bus because he does have a life outside of me. As we stood outside the coach, stalling for time, we held each other. I lookd up teary eyed, and as I did, Calvin's tear fell into my eye! I mean, talk about catching his tears! Being a goober, I tell a joke: What did the Atlantic Ocean say to the Pacific Ocean? Nothing. It just waved. Yahk Yahk Yahk!

He hopped onto the coach and I looked out the window at me on the sidwalk. We blew kisses, made hearts with our hands, hugged with our fingers, and the coach drove away. His hands in the shape of a heart stayed on the window until he rounded the corner. I cried with my hands in the air also in the shape of a heart.

I'm not sure what this post is about. I'm not supposed to know, but I do know that I'm sitting in the common room listening to Val talk about marriage to a young couple and stream of consciousness and deja vu. I am far away listening. I am going to participate until I cannot any longer and then I will come back to you all.

To the love of my life: Until we meet again. Cheers to the summer of love 2008! Cheers to the next time we fly! I love you.

1 comment: