Thursday, September 18, 2008

England 101

Hey all!

I'm in England now. I'm here with Calvin; he's sending me off for the week. I'm going to journal my adventures. So...after getting on the bus from the Heathrow, we ended up in southeast England. We walked around trying to find a place to stay. The first place was Collins House. It was on Ebury street and quite lovely actually. It had free internet and was 50 pounds for one night with free internet access.

I definitely bawled after eating lunch. Note to self: Barbeque sauce in England tastes a lot different than in the US. The toilets are round in shape and the fast food here is delicious. In fact, i think it's rather healthy here. Nothing is really mass produced or steroid injected. Granted America is about comfort. When I saw the toilets and the showers, I questioned why I left America in the first place, but it's easy to adjust and get accustomed. I don't even use lotion here and my hands are still soft! I was definitely spoiled in America, I mean everything's so fucking cheap and the portions are enormous for what we pay for. But I guess that's why England is about portion control and money conservation.

We were looking for a pub forever and The Shakespeare was fucking shady. The bartender wouldn't even fucking answer our questions. Racial discrimination maybe? Who knows. We got to another bar though. The Duke of York. A couple of drinks in and we were good to fucking go. Buzzin' and ready to get going. We went to Sainsbury Local, which is like a Safeway and the people were really nice. We wanted to buy alcohol, but I guess you can't buy alcohol from the store after 11 PM in England. Minorities seemed to be the nicest people thus far here. Maybe because we're all in the same boat. Calvin definitely taught me that the first day when you arrive is made for resting up and getting your grounding. I was really frantic y'know trying to find accommodation and my way around, but I just need to toughen myself up and embrace the culture and people. So I ate my fucking burger and we took a long ass nap due to jetlag.

I'm so grateful that Calvin's here with me. I know I can handle my own, but seeing him maneuver through the city and navigate the trams, etc. shows me an entirely different side of him. He's been independent since an early age and it's friggin admirable. I thought I was independent, but no one truly knows independence until you're in another world. However, he definitely needs me in his life because I have all the inside scoops on cheap tickets and deals so that we're not blowing all our money on ridonculous shiiiiez.

Day 2:
We woke up hella early like 5 Am early. We were starving because we didn't want to blow our money on food. We're starving. Please donate to the Dphuong-is-broke-as-shit-and-wants-to-eat fund. Anyone who knows me, knows that big girl gotta eat and how am I supposed to maintain this thick body without sustenance? hahaha just kidding but not really.

The bathrooms here are ridiculous too. In the females restrooms, the mirrors definitely elongate your figure, making you look a lot thinner than you truly are. I think psychologically, it boosts your confidence. America's so fucking depressed because of weight problems and etc, but I think it's partly the fact that we seek comfort in food. Here, on the other hand, because food is expensive, we eat to fuckin' survive. Like if it's necessary to eat and our stomachs are about prune shaped will we eat.

What else? Everything else! We made it to Picadilly Circushttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccadilly_Circus. It was definitely a good idea to a smaller part of England to get used to things rather than jumping right into the city because it can be so overwhelming. I finally got my traveler's cheques changed to british pounds. So legit. Make sure you find money exchange places that don't take commission that shit will pwn you!

Oh! Also, try to go to the supermarket because they have deals that will help with eating out. We got some chocolate croissants for pence and it helped sustain us or breakfast.


It's beautiful here. The weather is reminiscent of the bay area and it's not too cold. If I start to type with a British accent just ignore it. I swear my vocabulary will skyrocket! Anyway, if you do come to the UK definitely get an oyster cardhttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx. It's well worth it! The inside fucking scoop on public transportation. The trains and coaches here are just like BART. So legit yeah. Like everything is so close and takes very little time to get around England.

Calvin and I are near King's Cross. We went to The Rocket, a student oriented bar that had cheap drinks and good music.

I think the most beautiful thing I've seen in England is definitely the interacial couples. I've seen British African males with Blondle, blue-eyed women, which would be so taboo in America, yet here's it's readily accepted. No one judges the whiteand black but the asian community is definitely a siter fore sore eyes. I swear people think we're FOBS. And I know that term is very controversial, but shit! We are truly a rare gem in this country! It's nice getting all the attention I s'pose, but man oh man, it's a tad bit uncomfortable at times knowing that people are starin at you.

The Chinese community center here was no help either. It was for people who didn't know how to speak English and could only speak Chinese. I wish it were more inclusive. I want to start an Asian-American center here so Asian-Americans won't feel so excluded.

Anyhow, I'm in the Goodwood Hotel here on Tavistock Place. We were originally going to stay at a hostel, The Generator, but fuck that shit. It was kinda creepy and you can getter better deals talking to the manager of hotels nearby. We are staying in a double basic (basic means without a bathroom in your room and en-suite means your private bathroom) for 20 pounds each person, with breakfast and fucking wifi. Legit? YES!

I miss the states but being away is necessary for my growth, for my independence, and my humbleness to home. We always take America for granted. For a long time I hated being American, and granted, there's a lot of shit wrong with America, but it's a beautiful place to be. No, I'm not becoming more patriotic, but I brought my pocket-sized Declaration of Independence (a handy gift from Vice Chancellor Gomez) and I think I finally understand what our forefathers meant.

I'm still under the same moon, stars, and sun. You ar all in my thoughts and we will meet again at a different point in our lives. I truly love being and I hope you all find that person who can spark that. Mine is sleeping next to me right now. I'm going to go spoon him. Hahaha cheeeeeesy but true! Bye darlings! Until my next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. I'm So Jealous!! I swear my eyes are tearing up I miss England with all m heart. granted pretty much all my family excpet my cousin are up north not in London but still its my home none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that your times in England have already sparked a greater understanding of what it truly feels to live. I'm typing this to you from SD with smelly. Your entries have only made me smile and I'm sure your many adventures to come will keep me entertained late at night. I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself and that you've survived the first few days, now it's a piece of pie! Anyways, i'll cam with you when you're available, have fun, much love, and I miss you! Your Buddy Eric Chow aka Div!

    ReplyDelete