Monday, January 19, 2009

Sythesis of the Selves

I've been told that

Poetry

Is not real work.

"There is no function in society; no production
made by hands."

This is a prodcut of my imagination.
Written language is the tangibility of possibility.

Possibility was torture for my mind
Since without clear route
I could not escape
The fear of being lost
Within my selves.

Now, I see the art.

Is the I the same as the person who writes?
What does this say about the self?
Who is the self that is produced?

If the function of ethnic poetry is to claim a space
Then, we are still enslaved.

The self saw its self
Through the eyes of the outside world.
Such pressure
Like ocean water
On
The breath.
My mind
Broken
Into pieces,
Thoughts,
Selves,
Has finally selved
In synthesis.

5 comments:

  1. This entry is such perfect timing. I was driving back home less than an hour ago thinking about how I've fallen in love with WORDS, and that I think poetry, literature, lyrics encompass more beauty than the most beautiful of paintings.

    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that losing perspective is a daily battle for me… It’s like I’m stuck in this world, bound by chains and shackles. Losing perspective… It’s a son of a bitch haha I think the answer lies within us, something deeper. That “thing” that no one seems to find, but we’re searching for… Purpose. I’ve read that no one wants to die, that it is against human nature for our body’s to want to shut down. When we’re deprived of food, our body lets us know. When we’re thirsty, we look for a nearby water fountain. The same is true with our purpose here on this planet for the time being. It’s the constant search for purpose. But the greatest thing is this… There is one. It’s in the pursuit of that purpose where we find ourselves. I hope this wasn’t the ramblings of a musician, or my ever unwinding attempt to find myself, but I hope if only for a little moment in time… it helped.

    P.S. You’re not alone… if you ever need to talk just ask Pete for my SN. I get on late into the wee hours of the night and chat it up with him…

    P.S.S I think in a couple weeks I'm going up to Irvine to chill with Pete if you want to grab some coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am he as you are me. It's been awhile :(

    ReplyDelete