Saturday, August 1, 2009

APIA Summit: Volume Control 3-Day 2

I woke up sad from last night's closure with Calvin. Yeah it's a lot to take in, but then going to the MCC at UCB in the mornings to hear some amazing talent get spit on the mic really makes me feel like we've got bigger and greater things to talk about and do

so fuck yeah I'm moving on!

Canary in the Coalmines-The canary is important to the coal miners because they can detect traces of cyanide before humans can so if they die then it's time to get the fuck out.

The poet as the canary: we are fortune tellers, hypersensitive, privileged not to work but we got a job to do so our people can stay on the grind, and at the same time our death may be the only thing to make them wake up. golden yellow black brown red and white; poets come in all colors like canaries. we are the voice underneath. we are the voice and we have the power and responsibility to use it.

For the writer not to speak is a form of suicide-Mark Mamuti (?)

Tell your story to crack open the world

Yes! I wanna share my story because the world needs to get deep!

Women's Open Mic:
I was drawn to this open mic because I wanted to closer to my females and feel the depth of our shared experiences.

Naked ghost holding me at night which is the only thing that can put me to sleep-Jerrica

Mactivist-Yvonne

Measured by grades or the numbers on a scale-Irene

Ther darker the berry, the sweeter the juice; The darker the berry, the more it gets used.-Azizah

Open our legs like newspapers in the morning. Origin story is the origin between our legs. -El Dia


Each of these pieces being read is living the experience with them in spirit and THAT is the difference between an artist and a performer.

I was self-conscious about getting my poetry out there so I wanted to work on gaining confidence. Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai from www.yellowgurl.com said, "Get over your selfishness and share your work because some one may need to hear it."

Thank you apia females and the safe welcoming space provided for our family to come in and story tell. Thank you men for being allies. Thank you all for bringing me back to my roots.

Chicken Wrap from in-n-out gyros in berk and buy 1 get 1 free blackberry bliss jamba for dinner. got to talk to fong about richmond and getting involved there. I am really feeling passionate about this work and this community. thailand sex workers, community involvement, to palestinian-isreali conflict to siblings to moving home to poetry. i fucking love this man! holla for my apia men who understand and aren't caught up. YES!

Volume Control 3: we can get loud in voice, in words, in tears
Kiwi, Denizen Kane, Skim, Bao Phi, Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai, Broken Halos, Erica Benton, El Dia, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna Samarasinha, Drizzletron

wow wow wow talent life i feel it. beauty i'm so grateful for everything and everyone. for the space...we are blessed. thank you organizers!

Afterparty at Blake's: socoandcoke. Lee and me. Dancing to hyphy hits and classics spun by mr phatty fantastic. it's not about the venue but the people you're dancing with.

it's real love. it's real family. i'm going in for the squeeze.

"Don't let the Universe regret you!" meditate on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment